Making a DCP with AutoDCP is easy. Take your source, drop it in your dropbox account and voila your source is converted into a DCP for playback at any DCI equipped theater. AutoDCP supports many source formats, and does much of the work for you, however, you still need to follow some relatively simple rules in order to make your DCP’s the best possible. What’s the easiest and best format to use for conversion into a DCP?
- Apple prores 422 or 4444.
- Audio and video contained within the prores file as exactly 1 video track and 1 audio track (Which can be mono, stereo, or 5.1. If 5.1 channel ordering is left, right, center, sub, left surround, right surround. If content is ‘silent’, the prores file must include a mono-silent audio channel)
- Video must be either 23.98, or 24fps
- Video size must be one of the following:
- 2048×858 (known as scope, 2.38 aspect)
- 1998×1080 (known as flat, 1.85 aspect)
- 1920×1080 (known as HD or 1.77 aspect, this format is automatically converted for you into a pillared 1.85 presentation)
- The prores file is ready for immediate presentation, ie video master (headers, slates, two-pops, pre and post taglines, extra audio channels all removed.) We do recommend a frame of black at the beginning and end of the presentation.
- Name your source file to agree with the DCP naming convention (plus a .mov file extension), eg LegendsOfTomorrow-Trailer_NoKey_PLT_F-185_EN-XX_US-NR_51_HD_WBTV_20150508_AUTODCP_OV.mov (DCP naming convention reference chart. )
- 2.39 content should NOT be letterboxed. If your content is this aspect you must provide us a non-letterboxed version at a resolution of 2048×858.
- multichannel audio (5.1) must be 1 track of audio (with 6 channels), not 6 tracks of individual mono channels; also do not provide a stereo pair on channels 7/8 or any additional wild tracks.
Acceptable delivery source files
file formats (codecs):
- Apple prores (422 or 4444), this is our preferred format for most consistent quality
- MXF (Avid DNxHD)
- others (may be supported, contact us for details. or just try it for free)